So we started a sort of vegetarian diet at the beginning of the year. It started with a Daniel Fast that we modified. We couldn’t decide. Just vegetables and water? Fruit? Bread? Caffeine? We decided to eliminate meat, dairy, and refined sugars. And alcohol as a beverage. I had to use a bit of port wine in one of the recipes.

I decided to share our vegetarian journey. We plan to keep this for a while. Maybe for good. We’ll decide if we want to eat meat or dairy on special occasions when the time comes. We may find that our systems will not like those additions. We shall see.

Some of our initial adjustments were making bread at home. Curtis found a simple recipe online. I’ll post the link another day. The recipes makes four loaves and she would pull the dough out of the fridge as needed. Our little apartment does not keep a warm kitchen so we have rising issues. I make one or two loaves at a time by splitting the recipe. I’ve also just started splitting the flour with whole wheat flour. Fortunately, neither of us have gluten issues.

Last night we attempted a pizza. We used the recipe for the crust at this link: https://youtu.be/bEqNSiyauGQ

Hubby read somewhere else that quinoa should be soaked first. He read this as I was preparing the dough so soaking didn’t happen. I did rinse the quinoa. I also used tricolor quinoa so it came out darker than the crust in the video. Not sure if I should have baked the crust longer or if the rinsing made a difference. Our crust came out thinner and stuck to the parchment paper. What a mess when I flipped it over. Nothing that pizza sauce and veggies couldn’t cover though. It was an interesting flavor and okay. We decided that since bread is not an issue for us that we would stick to our simple bread dough and modify it for a pizza crust.

Here is a picture of our finished pizza:


And, again, should have baked it longer. I put sliced garlic on it and the garlic was still quite raw. Imagine the shock of that bite! 😁

Well, there you go. Have a great week!

Comments